On-Going Volunteer Opportunities
Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Individual volunteers needed to connect with children facing adversity through strong & enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.
- For more information & next steps, contact Jenee Jeanblanc at 815.758.8616 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Catholic Charities’ Long-Term Care Ombudsmen Program
- Talk to Cathy Weightman-Moore at 815.316.0040 or CWeightman-Moore@RockfordDiocese.org) about this longer-term volunteer commitment that provides advocates for people living in nursing and residential care homes. Ombudsmen speak up for frail, elderly, chronically ill, isolated, disabled, or otherwise at-risk long term care residents. The program promotes the rights and well-being of residents in long term care facilities.
- Individual needed to staff the House for guest check-ins and daily management; one or more 3.5 hour shifts per month.
- To volunteer, complete a volunteer application and drop in the mail or at PIFH (719 Somonauk Street, Sycamore). Application available at PIFH or www.payitforwardhouse.org/
- Individuals or volunteer groups needed to socialize with Seniors visiting one of the5 Senior Centers in DeKalb County (operated by Family Service Agency) Also, FSA offers home companions & phone buddies to check in on homebound seniors.
- Contact Diana King at 815.758.4718 or email@example.com.
Voluntary Action Center’s Meals on Wheels
- Individual volunteers or volunteer groups needed with delivery of meals & smiles in DeKalb County. Must have own vehicle.
- To volunteer, contact Ron Mullen at 815.758.3932 or Ellen Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Feed ‘Em Soup Community Project’s Community Dinners: Dinner at No Cost & Open to All
- Community kitchen and restaurant open to public on every Wednesday of each month, 4:30 – 7:00 PM
122 S. First Street, DeKalb
- Volunteers needed to help serve the meals and clean up. Donations of food and clothing are accepted.
- To volunteer, go to: www.feedemsoup.org Work Day Volunteer Signup button.
Salvation Army Food Pantry
- Thursday evenings (5 – 6:45 PM)
- 830 Grove Street, DeKalb
- Volunteers needed to assist families visiting the pantry.
- To volunteer, contact Gary Billings, Food Pantry Coordinator, at 815.756.4308
Court-Appointed Community Service Options
Looking for court-appointed community service options? Here are some local organizations that are set up to track/monitor court-appointed community service:
- Salvation Army, 830 Grove Street, DeKalb 815.756.4308
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 1915 N. First Street, DeKalb 815.758.3203
- New Hope Baptist Church, 1201 Twombly Road, DeKalb 815.756.7906
- Hope Haven, 1145 Rushmoore Drive, DeKalb, IL 815.758.5765
- DeKalb County Community Gardens, DeKalb, IL 815.793.0950
Public Transportation Options
If you don’t have access to your own transportation, here are two local bus services that should get you to most anywhere you might need to go in the DeKalb/Sycamore area: